You’ve made the choice to have a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty), picked a surgeon, quit smoking, and maintained your ideal weight. Now, make these simple arrangements before surgery to help make your tummy tuck recovery run smoothly!
- Take time off from work- You’ll need about a week of tummy tuck recovery before you head back into the office.
- Transportation- Arrange for a friend or family member to pick you up from tummy tuck surgery and stay with you for at least 24 hours. Your doctor will not allow you to drive yourself home from surgery.
- Arrange for pet, child, and home care- During the first few days you will be on pain medication and won’t be moving around with ease. Do not plan on doing any heavy lifting for a couple weeks.
- Meals – Purchase snacks and meals in advance. On the day of surgery, you may want foods that are easy on the stomach; soup, applesauce, Jello, and the like will go down easily. In the following days, make sure you are eating foods high in fiber and drinking plenty of water.
- Buy Post-Operative Supplies- Before surgery make sure you have your post-surgical garment (bring it with you to surgery) and comfortable clothes that are easy to get on and off. You might also consider having the following items on hand at home to help combat leaking, drainage, and swelling:
- Unscented baby wipes
- Maxi pads
- Waterproof sheet protector
- Ice packs
- Make a nest- Gather pillows and blankets to make a nest on your couch or bed. Make sure you have a clear path and easy access to the bathroom. Prepare a tote where you can keep prescriptions, a bottle of water, doctor’s instructions, phone charger, tv remote, and other items you will want within reach.
- Follow your surgeon’s instructions – Always follow your surgeon’s post-operative instructions and tummy tuck recovery tips! If you have any concerns following the surgery, don’t hesitate to contact your doctor.
Get a Complimentary Virtual Consultation Today! (Normally $250)
Virtual Consultation – WITH PHOTOS
Virtual consultation form